SPR is a founding member of the new World Federation of Pediatric Imaging (WFPI). WFPI's strategy will be to form relationships with existing outreach efforts by offering pediatric radiology expertise.
Dr. Ines Boechat, WFPI President, and Dr. Savvas Andronikou, WFPI Outreach Committee chair, tell us that WFPI is already plugged into the demand: a few early volunteers have been enlisted onto the Swinfen platform and are reading for Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF). These pioneer readers have also been telereading for Khyalitsha Hospital, South Africa.
This new Ministry of Health Hospital (32 ped beds, 12 neonate beds, 10 KMC beds and 6 short-stay ped beds) hosts new digital equipment but has no operational PACS system in place yet for telereading elsewhere and offers no on-site radiologists. A sustainable government system will be introduced but in the interim a joint South African Pediatric Imaging Society/WFPI team has been providing support with tele-opinions.
Now we call out to you: would you like to be a telereader for the WFPI? If interested, reply to firstname.lastname@example.org. You’ll be contacted with more of the details.
The IG campaign needs your help during RSNA: the IG campaign will host a booth at the RSNA meeting. Volunteer for an hour (or two or three) in the booth - it is pleasant, light-duty (and there are chairs!)
If you have questions or are willing to volunteer contact Coreen Bell, IG Program Administrator .
Good news! The Hooshang Taybi Memorial Art Show & Auction will return to the SPR meeting in 2013.
Once again we will showcase our members' talents to benefit the Research and Education Foundation. Prior donations have included paintings, ceramics, sculpture, magic tricks, fishing flies, jewelry, photography, painted silk scarves, quilts, afghans.....
SPR members are a talented lot!
Don't have artistic talent but want to join in? For past auctions, members also donated purchased items for the auction.
All proceeds will benefit the SPR Research and Education Foundation General Fund which is used to fund the research efforts of our friends and colleagues.
The Taybi Art Show and Auction will remain open during the Dinner Dance Reception on Friday and will close immediately after. Plan to stop by Saturday morning to see if you are among the successful bidders. Leaving before the end? We'll notify you if you are a winner.
Questions, ideas? Contact us!
Speaking of the REF and auctions, visit the SPR website to see the bright new smiles in the banner. Five members with the highest bids won those spots for their favorite faces.
In other Website news, we invite you to visit the website's subspecialty "button" and review the new content. Updates are frequently posted and, thanks to active committees, new subspecialty content pages are under development.
Current content pages (some under constuction) include:
- Cardiac Imaging
- Child Abuse
- Contrast-Enhanced Task Force
- Fetal Imaging
- Interventional Radiology
- Nuclear Medicine
The Nominating Committee calls for input from the membership in identifying candidates for the slate of Officers and Board members to be presented to the membership by ballot in the spring.
The positions that will appear on the ballot are:
- 2nd Vice President (who will ascend to the Presidency in 2017)
- Two members of the Board of Directors
- One member of the SPR Research and Education Foundation Board
Review the guidelines/expectations for Society leaders HERE.
Please send your nominations to Dr. Don Frush, Chair, Nominating Committee c/o the SPR office by October 31, 2012.
Back to Top
The Honors Committee, chaired by Dr. M. Ines Boechat seeks nominations for these 2013 SPR awards:
- The Gold Medal is awarded to a member of SPR who has made outstanding contributions to the care of children, to pediatric radiology, and to our society.
- Honorary membership is conferred on any individual who has made an outstanding contribution to the care of children through scientific innovations which impact pediatric radiology. Usually, this is a person not otherwise eligible for membership in the society.
- The Presidential Recognition Award is given to a person, usually a member, whom the Society desires to recognize for his/her exemplary service to our society.
- The Singleton-Taybi Award is given in honor of Edward Singleton and in memory of Hooshang Taybi in recognition of their personal commitment to the educational goals of the SPR. Initiated in 2006, the Award is presented annually to a senior member of the SPR whose professional lifetime dedication to the education of medical students, residents, fellows, and colleagues has brought honor to him/her and to the discipline of pediatric radiology.
Click HERE to review prior recipients of the Society's honors.
Process and timeline:
- to September 21: Call for Nominations (mailings and email newsletters)
- September 24: Nominations submitted to Honors Committee members
- October 16 - Awardees selected by conference call(s)
- October 22 - Committee Reports to Board
- late October: Awardees(s) and nominators notified, biographers determined.
Send your letters (emails) of nominations by September 21 to Honors committee chair, Dr. M. Ines Boechat c/o the SPR office.
Back to Top
Other Meetings News
Our friends at ESPR ask us to save the date for ESPR 2013, June 3 -7, in Budapest.
Abstract site is now open and available at the conference website: www.espr2013congress.com.
SPR is on Facebook
If you are a member of the Facebook community, become a fan of the Society for Pediatric Radiology and SPR breaking news will be delivered to you. If you are not a member of Facebook, check out our FB page.
Back to Top
Join the Member list serv | SPR Career Center
The Society for Pediatric Radiology | 1891 Preston White Drive | Reston, VA 20191
| Tel 703-648-0680 | Fax 703-880-0013 | www.pedrad.org
The Society for Pediatric Radiology is dedicated to fostering excellence in pediatric health care through imaging and image-guided care.